Civil Inattention

A sociologist by the name of Erving Hoffman defined the process civil inattention. It is the process where strangers who are close in proximity show that they are aware of one another without showing recognition. People just have their own personal boundaries. It is through brief eye contact when approaching a stranger. It is acknowledging each others presence but nothing more than eye contact. I do this everyday. I walk by people in class, on the street, or even someone that lives in the same building as me. I also do this on social media. I scroll through Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat and see posts every day. I don't always interact with their posts. Many people comment or like each post which is small interaction but not every single post you see. Also when sending posts between friends. Such as taking a screenshot or share the post via messenger isn’t interaction with the person it’s interaction with someone else. 


Image by HabibullahQureshi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pepsi "BLM Movement" Commercial

5 Stages